Monday, June 30, 2014

PAD #30: I Just Don't Know What I'm Suppose to Feel Anymore.

I actually had a bit of fun writing-up those Spoilerific posts.  I might have to make that into a regular thing.  I do tend to go see movies about once a week.  Even on the weeks when I don't, there's a nearly limitless backlog of movies I could talk about.  Spoilerific won't always be negative, of course.  Just that I happened to start the series on a movie that didn't impress me.  It'll basically just be an in-depth look at the movie: the plot, the characters, things I liked, things I didn't like; basically anything and everything about the movie that I feel is worth discussing or analyzing, with spoilers noted up-front so that I don't have to stress about what would or wouldn't be considered a "spoiler" since everyone has their own limit.  In short, it'll be something for people to read after they've seen the movie, or if they don't care about spoiling the movie.

The Steam Summer Sale is done, and sadly my wallet did not survive unsullied.  Most notably, I got the Tomb Raider Collection.  I got it for a few reasons.  Firstly, I always loved the first three Tomb Raider games (especially the second); and to a lesser degree, the fourth and fifth ones.  Secondly, I always wanted to check-out the trilogy(?) of Tomb Raiders from when Crystal D took over and rebooted the series.  Thirdly, I've always kinda wanted to see the newest one for myself.  That's the one I started first, in fact, and it's left me rather confused.  I think I'm actually enjoying it.  The story is rubbish (or at least the story-telling), don't get me wrong, but the game itself is... not bad.  That's not to say that I was going into it expecting to be disappointed, I just didn't expect to like it... if that makes any sense.  It probably doesn't, but that's part of why liking the game (so far) has left me confused, because I'm not honestly not sure what I was expecting out of it.

I just got done reading a book called Playing for Keeps by Mur Lafferty (and the author name is important if you go looking for it, because that's apparently a surprisingly-common name for romance novels).  It's a super hero novel that plays around with the idea of seemingly-useless super powers that turn-out to play vital roles in a massive struggle between the heroes and villains.  I think my favorite thing about the story is that you never feel quite certain which side is good and which side is bad, and it's a question that's never adequately answered, even when the story reaches a point where it would seem cut-and-dry.  Over-all, it's a very good story that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a different brand of Super Hero story.

I think that'll wrap-up today's PAD.  Thanks for joining me today, and I hope to see you tomorrow.  Until then, game well.

No comments:

Post a Comment