Friday, June 20, 2014

PAD #24: Lazy Days are the Best

Looks like Anita recently released a new video for her Tropes vs Video Games series, this time focusing on the objectification of women in games.  Now, I get that she means well, but honestly I feel that her videos aren't helping.  Let me just say up front that I'm 100% in support of the feminist movement, and I definitely agree that women could use better representation in the gaming industry.  That being said, her technique is simply fallacious.  The big problem with her videos is that they operate in a bubble.  It's to the point where she'll give an example of a game where you can hire female prostitutes, but completely ignore that it's a game that also has male prostitutes.  Her videos will go on and on every time a female is feature in a not 100% positive light, and make sure to ignore if the same game portrays men the same way.  Her videos also tend to ignore any game that's inconvenient for her to acknowledge, making it sound like every single game has several examples of women being misrepresented.  In short, she comes-off as the bad kind of feminist where it isn't feminine equality she wants, but feminine superiority.

On the brighter side of things, I picked-up Lego Movie and Pacific Rim today, so my movie collection has increased by +2 spectacular movies.  Pacific Rim because it's just plain concentrated awesomeness, and Lego Movie because it was already a great movie that then threw-in an amazing twist.  I know twists are kinda cliche (partially due to a certain director who loved throwing twists into his movies because it worked that one time), but this is a rare case where it actually worked.  Unlike most twists that just feel like a cheap way to make the story seem more interesting than it is, Lego Movie pulled it off in a way that added an entirely new layer of meaning to the entire film.  I don't think I will ever get sick of either of those movies.

Yeah, kind of a short one today.  Probably because I spent all day watching movies.  At any rate, thanks for joining me today, and I'll see you tomorrow.  Until then, game well.

No comments:

Post a Comment