Saturday, May 31, 2014

PAD #9: Can't Be Bothered to Come-up With a Title 'Cause I Wanna Get Back to Wildstar

And Wildstar's early access has started today.  It's a game that's had my interest ever since their first trailer a number of years ago (which I was gonna link to, but couldn't find), but I never really followed it all that closely like one of my WoW guildmates did.  Now that the game is finally out (for pre-order customers, at least), we've all jumped into it with the hopes that we'll get into it like we did with WoW.  From what I've played so far (both of beta and live), it's an interesting game.  Probably my favorite part about it is how the combat varies from other MMOs.  Nearly every attack is AoE-based, with the area of effect showing on the ground so you know where you're targeting.  Some attacks will follow you if you move, where others will continue their effect based on where you were when you launched it or where you placed it.  So far I'm having a lot of fun with a Cassian Medic (though I wanted to be an Exile Esper).

The creator of "Rust" (who I didn't know was also the same "Garry" behind "Garry's Mod") chimed-in about the massive amount of games being put on Steam's service.  Short version, he sees it as a good thing.  That's undoubtedly going to ruffle some feathers, but I don't necessarily disagree with him.  His stance is that it's a good thing because it forces developers to have to step up and make sure that their game stands above the others; do a little extra leg work, as it were.  Basically the idea that more competition is a good thing.  Why play this game and not the dozens of others that play just like it?  Because this one has that extra bit of polish that I like, or maybe it has an art style that appeals to me.  I've always been on the fence about the whole issue, mostly because I know how to look for a good game and am not afraid to do a little extra skimming to find it.  Sometimes I wonder if maybe gamers just got too accustomed to the model where only "good" games were ever released, so now they feel a little spoiled for choice now that they actually have to filter passed a few lemons.  I'll definitely say this, though:  Gamers got what they asked for.  They just didn't consider the negative side effects of what they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment