Monday, May 26, 2014

PAD #3: Better Late Than Never

Whoops!  Got sucked into watching some Game Grumps and completely spaced on getting a post in today.  I guess technically it's tomorrow as of thirty minutes ago (at time of writing), but I haven't gone to bed yet, so I'm counting it. =P  Bastion did it's fair share as well.  Yeah, after a bit of Transistor, I felt like playing Supergiant's premier title.  Partially for nostalgia, partially because they added a few new achievements that I never got around to earning after 100% it the first time around.  It's been niggling at me for a while, but for some reason I never felt compelled to actually get them until now.  So it'll be good getting that outta the way.

As it turns out (and admittedly this is a few-days-old news), Total Biscuit has been diagnosed with colon cancer.  That is absolutely terrible, but I've seen in discussions that it can be one of the easier cancers to have to deal with.  Silver linings and all that.  Perhaps worse than his condition, though, is that there are honestly people celebrating this.  Really, people?  Like him or hate him (or his work), you just don't celebrate that kinda thing.  There is nobody I loathe enough that I would wish that kinda thing on them.  Certainly there are people where the news wouldn't phase me much, but I still wouldn't be glad to hear it.  There's disliking someone, and then there's just... I don't even know how to describe that level of depravity.  Whatever, though.  They are terrible people, and hopefully TB isn't letting them get to him.  Soldier on, you Cynical Britt.

After listening to the soundtrack a fair bit, I've decided that In Circles is my favorite song in Transistor.  There's just something about the emotion in that song that I love.  You can really feel the contempt towards the character in question in the singer's voice, and it just gives the situation a powerful feeling while you're fighting that boss.  By which I mean that the song actually makes me feel somewhat sorry for that character during the fight.  Without wishing to get into spoilers (even though it's an early event in the game), you definitely understand Red's desire to see this character killed, but at the same time the character has lost so much of her mind that - between In Circles playing in the background, and the boss's only semi-coherent ravings while she fights - the battle almost feels more like putting down Old Yeller than plain old fashioned revenge.  It's probably both my favorite and least favorite part of the game with how well they make the player feel sorry for the boss, but at the same time making it clear that there's no redeeming her at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment